Right now I’m teaching lots of writing workshops, so I know there are a lot of you out there who love writing stories and can really write well.
Even better, I’m running two FREE writing workshops at the South Perth Library, especially for member’s of the library’s Secret Club. Come along on 11 March and 8 April to have a heap of fun, plus pick up some ideas, tips and writing techniques.
Then, enter what you’ve been working on into Young Writer’s Award, details below. Everything I’ve achieved as a writer has come thanks to entering writing competitions: the Canon Young Writer’s Award, the Varuna House Emerging Writer Fellowship, the Voices on the Coast writing competition, the Frances Lincoln Diverse Voices Children’s Book Award…
I’ve won a few writing competitions, but I’ve entered about a billion more. LOTS of competitions, MILLIONS of them. Anything that’s free to enter or run by someone reputable (like a publisher or council) is fair game.
So get out your pens, tap at your keyboards, come to my workshops and ENTER! Sometimes, every now and then, something great happens. This could be that something great for you.
The City of South Perth Young Writers Award
Conditions of entry
– Limit of one entry per child
– Entries must be prose only
– The entrant’s name must not appear elsewhere on the entry
– Entry is open to any school aged child residing in or attending school in the City of South Perth.
– Entries must be the entrant’s own original work (i.e. ideas should not be copied from television or books), nor should the entry be edited by another person.
– Entries may be of any length up to 1500 words.
– Entries may either be submitted in hardcopy on standard A4 paper or electronically in MS Word 2000 or higher and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
– A completed entry form must accompany each entry.
– Entries are not retained and cannot be returned (photocopied originals are acceptable).We regret we cannot acknowledge receipt of individual entries.
– The organisers reserve the right to publish any winning entries in whole or part thereof.
– Entries must be received by Saturday 10 May 2014.
Entries will be judged in the following categories
A. Year 1
B. Lower Primary Years 2-3
C. Middle Primary Years 4-5
D. Upper Primary Years 6-7
E. Lower Secondary Years 8-10
F. Upper Secondary Years 11-12
– Prizes may be awarded for first and second in each category, and certificates for highly commended works may also be awarded.
– The most outstanding entry for 2014 will be awarded the Christobel Mattingley Bronze Medallion.
– All finalists will be notified about the award ceremony by mid-July.
– Please note: We regret we are unable to individually notify all entrants of placings. Only finalists will be notified.
The City of South Perth Young Writers Award is proudly sponsored by the City of South Perth. The Award provides local students an opportunity to develop their writing skills.
The City of South Perth would like to gratefully acknowledge the support Of the Mill Point Caffe Bookshop.
For more information on the Young Writer’s Award, contact the South Perth library.