Crinkling News is the best! It’s also closing down…
…unless we save it.
I’ve been writing for Australia’s national newspaper for children for many months now. I’m SO SO proud of it.
Editor Saffron Howden is trying to raise $200,000 to keep the paper going. There’s $150,000 left to raise, and just over a week to do it.
This is why we should Save Crinkling News:
- Kids deserve to have their own newspaper. One with all the news explained so kids feel empowered, not frightened.
- Kids deserve to feel as if the world is a good place, filled with inspiring people who are working to make it better.
- Kids deserve to believe that they can be one of those inspiring people, making a difference with what they do each day, and the way they choose to live their lives.
Here’s why you should donate to help Save Crinkling News:
- Your donation is only collected if the total is raised and the paper continues to print.
- Your donation can come with a subscription–for your school, for your children, for adults who prefer a newspaper that leaves them warm and buzzing–and all subscriptions or partial subscriptions will be refunded if the paper doesn’t continue.
- You can be one of those inspiring people who makes a difference.
- You can donate your spare change, or splash out with $3000 to get a framed front cover 🙂
- Crinkling News is just what we need….all of us, not just our kids.
Below is a letter from Saffron, asking for our help to keep the paper going…
I really hope we can.
Thanks for your help, shares and support! xx Cristy
Letter from Saffron Howden, editor of Crinkling News:
To our loyal subscribers and supporters,
For the past year we have worked incredibly hard to bring the only national newspaper for kids to your homes and schools around the country.
Pursuing a vision for something greater than yourself is not easy and our small team has invested everything we have. Now we need your support.
We have come a long way in 12 months and more children are reading Crinkling News every day.
But the biggest and most successful organisations need time to build before they become sustainable – even Facebook took five years to turn a profit.
While we have sought funding and investment throughout the life of the paper, we have focussed our energy on producing the paper that so many now love – but so many others are only just finding out about.
So now we need your help to secure the future of Crinkling News.
We have launched a crowd-funding campaign. Crowd-funding is about communities coming together to support something they believe in.
I am asking you to believe in Crinkling News.
Within the next four days, we are asking for $200,000 to invest in business development and expertise or the last issue of this newspaper will be published this week.
400 people have already kicked in over $52,000. But if we don’t raise the full amount by Thursday, we get nothing and the donations will not be taken.
Please note that should the campaign be unsuccessful, all subscribers will be refunded the balance of their subscriptions.
- Crinkling News is a newspaper and a vision. It’s a vision for engaging our kids in the world around them, for inspiring them to read and learn and think critically, and it’s a vision to give them a voice in the national conversation.
- So many kids love Crinkling News. They’ve started newspaper clubs, dabbled in journalism, and been given the courage to share their views with the world – all because of this newspaper.
What to do
- If you are able to, please donate to the fundraising campaign: http://indiegogo.com/at/savecrinkling
- Please share the campaign on Facebook and Twitter and with your friends, schools and colleagues
Thank you so much to those of you who have donated already. And thank you to all who have supported the paper in so many different ways over the past year.
Most importantly, thank to our wonderful readers who have shared the journey with us so far.
PS. One of our passionate readers, Maeve from NSW, sent in this inspiring video when she heard Crinkling News needed help to keep going. Watch, then donate and share at: https://igg.me/at/savecrinkling