Want to share a story from your childhood with today’s children? It could be a tale of growing up in another country, an experience of overcoming adversity, or a story from Australia’s history…
I’m very excited to announce a terrific opportunity…
The workshops are designed for adults with a story to tell about their childhood: retirees, recent arrivals, total beginners, those who grew up in another country, or who experienced another way of life. We want to help you share your story.
- The workshops are free, but places are extremely limited.
- The workshops will be held once a week for a month, to give participants time to work on their projects at home.
- Free childcare is provided on-site, with a gorgeous leafy playground for your little ones to enjoy while you get creative in the adjacent room.
- We’ll be working on the text and illustrations for a picture book.
- You need to register to secure your place.
Note: It’s best to attend all four workshops.
WRITE YOUR CHILDHOOD: About the workshops
Join a group of beginner writers and learn how to write and illustrate a children’s book that tells a story from your childhood. Facilitated by children’s author Cristy Burne and author-illustrator Frané Lessac, this series of workshops aims to:
- help residents from all walks of life to make connections in their community
- give these residents a voice to share stories from their childhood in a format children can enjoy.
Venue: All workshops are held at the Victoria Park Community Centre.
246 Gloucestor St
East Victoria Park
(This is the home of the HoneyPot Play Group, between LeisureLife and John McMillan Park).
Week 1: Wednesday 21 March, 1pm – 2.30pm
Connecting with your childhood—getting ideas and meeting each other.
Facilitator: Cristy Burne
Week 2: Wednesday 28 March, 1pm – 2.30pm
Nuts and bolts of writing for children—techniques and tips for telling your story using pictures and words.
Facilitator: Frané Lessac
Week 3: Wednesday 4 April, 1pm – 2.30pm
Crash course in illustration—hands-on illustration workshop with a focus on children’s picture books.
Facilitator: Frané Lessac
Week 4:Wednesday 11 April, 1pm – 2.30pmBringing it all together—sharing the final product and tips on where-to-from-here.
Facilitator: Cristy Burne)
Post course exhibition: Selected works from the workshop (such as beautifully presented phrases, paragraphs, sketches or illustrations) will be exhibited in the foyer of the Town of Victoria Park Library.
Proudly supported by the Town of Victoria Park and the Victoria Park Community Centre Inc.