My first books all feature Japanese demons and Japanese mythology.
Japanese demons are better known as yokai (妖怪).
They have featured in Japanese fairy tales and folklore for centuries. Scholars have been cataloguing yokai species in encyclopedias and databases since the 1770s.
READ MORE ABOUT JAPANESE YOKAI
- 8 body parts you will want: Super cool demon anatomy
- 8 cool dog myths, and why the inugami dog-god didn’t make it
- 8 signs that your snail is an ogre: Sazae-oni revealed
- 8 spooky Japanese proverbs
- Enma Daio, Datsue-ba, and a reason to die with your clothes on
- Quick quiz: Is your persimmon haunted?
- Selective genetics or ghosts? Legend of the Samurai crabs
- You’ve heard of the headless horseman? How about the headless horse?
Want more yokai?
Check out my Takeshita Demons series of adventures for 8-12-year-olds.